Friday, January 30, 2009

Bengals Dave has landed

Greeting from rainy Florida Urban Tailgaters! Looking back, I'm not sure why I deserve this Super Bowl vacation ....either because I beat out thousands of other crazed competitors to win the Coors Light Superfan award....or because I watched another "Bungled" Bengals season...an 0-8 start, a 4-11-1 finish, and an upcoming 6th pick in the NFL draft that I'm sure we'll use wisely...just like we always do. But alas! Hope Springs Eternal! The fact remains I'm here in Florida about to go to the SuperBowl and send you some reports on what tomfoolery and ballyhoo we can get into.... First and foremost, getting down here was a pain...thanks to Delta Airlines...their customer service was awful, their prices even worse...Trying to fly my dad down here via Delta was about as painless as the above said 4-11-1 season! Non compensated advertisement: Fly JetBlue! They are much nicer, and cheaper, and they have those Blue Terra Chips:) You know the ones.... So yesterday I got into Orlando greeted by steady (sometimes bordering monsoon) rains! It was as if I was being haunted by the ghosts of Bengals past who were punishing me for going to my first Super Bowl not featuring my beloved Bengals but the hated Steelers....So with my Bengals sweatshirt (with sleeves cut off ala Belichick), Bengals polo, Bengals socks, and Orange New Balance shoes, I settled into the Thrifty rental car shuttle next to a very serious looking Steelers fan with a strong jaw and yellow and black outfit...think a poor mans Bill Cowher...i threw caution to the wind and tried to make conversation, to which the man either was deaf or in trance but he stared straight ahead...although i did have a wonderful conversation with his wife (they also went to their Super Bowl in Detroit). Picked up the rental car (they inital gave me a MiniVan, but then upgraded me to a Chrysler Sebring), Think Mr. Incredible from the Incredibles....some things just aren't meant to fit...i checked into our Hotel, the World's Biggest Marriott in Orlando...(which begs the question, why are we staying in Orlando?) The games an hour away, more on that in a later blog, the more it becomes annoying... Picked my pops up from the airport....and drove a couple hours down to Venice, FL to visit an old family friend (and that's where I'm blogging right now).... So, Day 1= just fine, I'm in Florida, it's still raining, the Steelers are still f-ing here (can we get a substitute team please)...and am heading up to Orlando for a day of father-son competition including Pirate's Cove miniature golf (sidearm beers always acceptable) rain or shine!!!! Up next for tonight: The Coors Light Party featuring Nelly (bandaid rapper, not Furtado), the arrival of my bodyguard from the Vegas Finals (and partner in crime) Shelton, and a check in with our Ybor City correspondent Jason Rocco (Who is trying to mooch the entire Super Bowl trip:) God bless him.... Early Bengals Dave Vegas line= Cardinals by 150 points..... Daily random Bengals/Cincinnati Trivia: Did you know Troy Polamalu was Carson Palmers roommate at USC. Some would say that's why he can read quarterbacks so well...he learned from the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment